Foreign Language (Spanish)
What is out INTENT for Foreign Languages (Spanish) at Woodheys Primary School?
Our vision for Spanish:
- To normalise the use of Spanish in Woodheys and through that, broaden the children’s horizons through foreign languages. It is an achievable expectation that a member of staff or child can greet another in Spanish without this exchange being seen as odd or alien.
- Immerse staff in Spanish to the point that there is no embarrassment in school from children or staff to pronounce words, ask questions or use the language they have learnt.
- To help staff to feel confident with Spanish so that they do not see foreign languages as the domain of specialist language teachers.
- To raise the profile of Spanish in school so it isn’t seen as a subject that is done “if we have time”.
- For the children to engage with other schools in Spanish speaking countries through a Pen Pal scheme.
- To have an annual MFL week where children study the language as well as the culture, geography, art and food of a country.
- (Long term ambitious goal) Take a group of children who have shown a gift for Spanish to a partner school in Spain to develop their language skills and immerse themselves in the culture.